Saturday, February 9, 2008

Foundation

I decided to start this blog for the sake of forcing myself to read more classics. There are just too many I was never forced to read in school and never picked up on my own. Of course, there will be a great deal about this community, assuming it works, that will change as it grows, but I have some goals that I'd like to set out for discussion between the readers who join us. I'd like to see:
  • book selection being loosely limited to classics or other edifying choices* and chosen by the group
  • readers who count themselves as progressive and feminist**
  • opportunity to learn through bringing outside sources to light
  • safe space created that encourages diverse opinion and leaves room for respectful disagreement
If you decide to join us,
  1. please leave your response to this foundation in comments; we'll all get ourselves on similar pages before our first discussion
  2. do the book meme, if you feel so compelled
  3. suggest some books

*The edifying choices bit really is a loophole that lets me sneak our first book in.
**I'm very much interested in furthering my progressive thought in this forum rather than furthering my knowledge of conservative/Malkin/MRA/freeper thought.

No comments: